Wednesday, October 11, 2006

American Stereotypes




















I saw one of the best things ever the other day....I was shopping in Carrefour which to me is the closest I am going to get to a Target. It's kind of amazing. Helps to quell the burning Target desires by the way...

Anyway, there is an area for "Foods of the World" ou "Produits Du Monde" and there is a section for America. LOOK AT IT!

It makes me laugh out loud to see in the photo even though I've seen it in person already a few times. Please note all of the Oreo products, the marshmallow fluff, barbeque sauce, peanut butter, ranch dressing, etc. I love it and it is hilarious to me. Please also note the "Mexican" section to the left, and if you are looking for the fabulous detail that is so amsuing to me, feel free to click on the photo for a larger view. :)
Are our "international foods" sections in the U.S. this stereotypical???

7 comments:

*britt* said...

does putting top ramen in the asian food section answer your question??

Anonymous said...

FILIPINOS?!?!!?!?!??!

LA City Girl in NYC said...

American food=Junk Food

Aunt Jemima, Oreos and Pepperidge Farm cookies.

That's hilarious!

KEF said...

Hmmm- I seem to recall ramen in the "dry soup" area. Ramen sounds REALLY good right now btw. I might just be hungry. :)

I love all the junk...but am also totally mystified by the "Filipinos!" I might have to buy some just to understand better what they are...

Anonymous said...

It's me...Nancy. Don't wanna go through the userid/psswrd thing. OMG, Kathryn! Your picture is hilarious and is soooo typical Kathryn! The food section is too funny. I don't even think we have that many Oreo products here. Oreo cake? Never even heard of it! Do you walk around w/ your camera around your neck?

curious will said...

jesus christ. just because i can eat an entire bag of oreos in one sitting does not make me a fat, lazy american!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am in full preparation of a thesis dealing of the way English and Americans see Paris, and all the clichés which you have on this city, positive ones as negative.

would you be ok for an interview ?
here is my email : thierry.heems@gmail.com

Thanx a lot for your answer !